The Storage usage on my domain has crossed the limits we had set. How do we get it back within limits without impacting the productivity.
With SkyConnect, there are more than one way to control the storage usage on the server. This is explained in the topic on Storage Management.
However, if the excess usage is large and across most users of the organization, implementing any of the methods will have an adverse effect on the overall productivity.
The suggested approach for getting the storage under control is as below:
- Segregate users as power users and normal users.
- Do not disturb any settings for the power users.
- Divide the normal users into
- Users using POP
- Users using IMAP
- Users using the web client
- For the POP users, define batches of 25-50 and enable auto mail deletion and set the number of days to 15. Note: For POP users, changing their desktop setting for leaving a copy on server will NOT have an impact as the setting will clean mail only for the last 30 days.
- Once the storage usage for all the POP users is under control, define sets of 25 IMAP users and enforce storage quota for them. If the storage usage is way higher than the quota set, users will take time to clean up their mailboxes.
- Similarly, once the storage for the IMAP users is cleaned, make batches of 25 web client users and enforce storage quota for them.
- Make sure you have subscribed to the weekly quota reports to keep an eye on the storage usage for all the users.
The leave copy on server setting on the POP client has been changed. However, the user's storage used is is not reducing.
The "leave copy on server" client setting will automatically delete mail for the last 30 days. To delete mail older than 30 days from the server, use the Auto mail deletion feature.
We have configured the Save to Sent Items setting for POP users. Will the "leave copy on server" setting automatically delete mail from the Sent Items folder on the server?
To automatically delete mail from the Sent Items, enable the Auto mail deletion feature.
We have configured the Auto mail deletion feature. However the mailstore size has not reduced.
The deletion of mail with this method is not immediate. The actual deletion of mail will happen in the next auto deletion cycle. Typically the deletion will happen within the next 7-15 days.
I have deleted users, but they are still present in the storage user report.
The deleted users are removed from the storage report tables at non-peak hours on certain days of the week. The users will be removed automatically in a few days within a maximum of 8 days.